- 1328 - On this day in History, the Scottish Wars for Independence end, Scotland is recognized as an independent state.
- 1778 - Today in History, 1778, Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania, part of the American Revolution.
- 1931 - The Empire State Building, 102-story skyscraper, standing 1,250 ft tall is dedicated in New York City.
- The 1940 Summer Olympics, which were to be held in Tokyo Japan are cancelled due to the outbreak of World War II.
- 1960 - An American Lockheed U-2 spyplane is shot down over the Soviet Union near Sverdlovsk. The Soviet Union captured the pilot, sparking a diplomatic crisis.
- 1971 - On this day in History, congress passed the Rail Passanger Service Act, creating Amtrak, which managed the U.S. passenger rail service.
- 1978 - Naomi Uemura of Japan, becomes the first person to reach the North Pole alone, travelling by dog sled for 57 days.
- 1989 - Disney-MGM Studios opens at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida, United States. A theme park dedicated to Hollywood and the history of television.
- 1991 - On this day in History, Rickey Henderson, a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, steals his 939th base, making him the career stolen bases leader.
- 2003 - The start of a record breaking month of tornadoes in the southern and midwestern United States, totaling in over 500.
Famous and Historical Birthdays - Say Happy Birthday to . . .
- 1218 - Rudolph I (Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire)
- 1738 - King Kamehameha I (King of Hawaii)
- 1824 - Alexander William Williamson, (English chemist)
- 1852 - Calamity Jane (American Wild West performer)
- 1940 - Elsa Peretti (Italian jewelry designer)
- 1946 - John Woo (director)
- 1968 - D'arcy Wretzky (Member of the Smashing Pumpkins)